The Medina County Schools’ Educational Service Center provides licensed American Sign Language Interpreters to meet the IEP needs of students in our school districts who are deaf or hard-of-hearing.
ASL Interpreter facilitates communication between deaf students and others, including teachers, service providers, coaches, and other students within the educational environment. The ASL Interpreter is a vital part of any child’s/school’s IEP Team.
Interpreting for the assigned student is the primary duty of the Interpreter, but the Interpreter can also provide a district with the following services.
- Provides expressive (voice to sign) and receptive (sign to voice) interpreting service (may include American Sign Language, a form of manually coded English, and/or Pidgin and/or oral interpreting) for students with hearing impairments in mainstreamed classes.
- Provides interpreter services: oral, American Sign Language, or transliterating, depending on the individual needs of the students(s) serviced.
- Interprets/transliterates the incidental and substantial content of the speaker’s presentation so that the complete spirit of the speaker’s communication is accurately conveyed to the hearing-impaired person, using the language and communication mode that is most appropriate for the person(s) for whom they are interpreting.
- Reverse interprets/transliterates the message of the hearing-impaired person(s) to the hearing person/audience.
- Interprets for both “in-class” activities and “out-of-class” activities, e.g., parent meetings, psychological testing, assemblies, etc., when necessary.
- Provides tutoring as directed by the mainstream teacher and provides note taking services when necessary and when interpreting is not needed.
- Provides insight on the success of communication strategies, upon request of the building administrator or designated supervisor.
- Maintains a positive interpreting situation in the regular classroom and not counsel. Advises or interjects personal opinions in the performance of daily duties.
- Performs all provisions to include instructions of the Individual Education Plan.